Friday, January 31, 2014

Ginger or Lemongrass?

When my mom cooking Tinola (soup based dish from Philippines), I noticed She used Lemongrass (Tanglad) So I was thinking.. "Oh this one taste good!" Tanglad also can imitate the taste of ginger. As I know  I really love lemongrass in food because of the aroma and the extinct flavor it brings to the food as like as natural taste of the food. My mom said, "I also put ginger but few only cos we are lacking spices here already so I used  tanglad." She said. So I really agree that Tanglad rocks to this dish also. (As we know Tanglad is a mix of Lemon and Ginger. That's why it's taste better.  LOL) I know some people know about this, but I just wanted to share the feeling. :P

photo credit to: http://www.bubblews.com/assets/images/news/2089090648_1371303420.jpg

Difference of Ginger and Lemongrass

Ginger taste is distinct.. A minimal bitter taste.
Herbal uses: cold, cough, fever, and sore throat remedy. also used for lowering cholesterol levels and nausea.

Lemongrass taste is a mixture of lemon and ginger. Strong and dominant flavor.
Herbal uses: the leaves and it's oil can make medicine. used for treating digestive tract spasms, stomachache, high blood pressure, convulsions, pain, vomiting, cough, achy joints (rheumatism), fever, the common cold, and exhaustion. It is also used to kill germs and as a mild astringent.

Some people apply lemongrass and its essential oil directly to the skin for headache, stomachache, abdominal pain, and muscle pain.
lemongrass uses are credits to: WEBMD

No comments:

Post a Comment